Laptop sleeves are way too complicated, they usually feature zippers which may leave scratches and are slow to open. There should be a better solution.
Flow MacBook sleeve features a single opening and keeps its contents in place thanks to the ingenious use of magnets. We decided to only keep one smart & easy central opening to instantly insert or extract your MacBook in one streamlined motion.
No more zippers which may leave a scratch or noisy Velcro! Your laptop is kept safe by the magnetic force.
We started creating the first prototype with my mother, she is a costume designer so she knows how to sew. Then we bought our first sewing machine, found a small leather shop in Brussels and another supplier for the beautiful 100% natural Merino wool from South Africa. We created a lot of iterations before mastering the necessary crafting skills until the first Flow was born in May 2013.
Every single Aecraft sleeve is made by me (Nils Van Brabant) and Carmen Sepulveda in our house/studio in Belgium. The Peak MacBook cover is made in Brussels by a one man company specialized in leather crafting since for years now.
How did you earn your first sales? Which channels are now generating the most traffic and sales for you?
Our first sales came from blog and press coverage. We never advertised Aecraft but we are planning to look into online advertising opportunities now as well as the numerous marketing apps gravitating around Shopify.
Tell us about the back-end of your business. What tools and apps do you use to run your store? How do you handle shipping and fulfillment?
For the moment, everything is pretty manual, using the Belgian Post with tracking number. We fulfil and ship everything by ourselves.
What are your top recommendations for new ecommerce entrepreneurs?
Have patience, but keep creating and marketing your products a little bit everyday and it will pay off. There is so much to do in the beginning that you'll have to go step by step.
1. Make sure your products are great (it can take a long time)
2. Be sure your e-commerce platform rocks
3. Create relationships with press and bloggers.
4. Create social media accounts and share your company's life regularly.
5. Advertise online (Facebook ads, Google AdWords, BuySellsAds...)
6. Master online marketing tricks like referral marketing, build mailing lists, re-targeting, promotions.
7. Keep creating new products or improve existing one (feature, look & feel, packaging).
8. Enjoy what you are doing!