Whether you are starting out with Shopify Themes or are a seasoned Shopify Expert, there are always new and useful things to learn that will help with your everyday theme development. With so much content available at your fingertips, one of the problems (at least for me) is knowing where to start.
With that in mind, we have pulled together a structured list of articles, videos, and online courses to help you on your way. It’s a work in progress and we’ll constantly be adding new items to keep the list up-to-date and fresh. I strongly recommend you take a moment to bookmark it for future reference.
Naturally, some articles will touch on advice and guidance from others, but each one is packed full of content that will help you learn more about developing themes for the Shopify platform. You can start at the beginning, or dive into an appropriate section — the choice is yours.
Finally if you have an article that should be included in the list, please let us know in the comments.
You might also like: The 7 Best Free Shopify Resources and Tools for Front-End Developers
Online theme development courses
If you are brand new to the Shopify platform, the following structured online courses will take you from newbie to expert in four and a half hours.
- Shopify Essentials for Web Developers: From Store Setup to Custom Themes (3h 2min)
- Advanced Shopify Theme Development (1h 34min)
Working with Shopify Themes
Themes are the basis of every Shopify store. These articles will introduce you to the structure of a Shopify theme, explain when each template is rendered, give you a pre-launch checklist, and discuss tools that can help with your Shopify development workflow.
- A Web Designer’s Introduction to Shopify
- Getting Started With Liquid; Shopify’s Template Language
- Taking Shopify Theme Development Further
- How URLs Map to Shopify Templates
- Shopify Checklist: Things to Do Before the Site Goes Live
- 4 Advanced Shopify Theming Techniques to Add to Your Workflow
- 10 Top Questions About Developing Shopify Themes Answered
Your Shopify theme toolkit
Take advantage of open-source tools to speed up and streamline your Shopify Theme development.
- 3 Simple Steps for Setting Up a Local Shopify Theme Development Environment
- The 7 Best Free Shopify Resources and Tools for Front-End Developers
- ThemeKit — cross-platform tool for building Shopify Themes
- An Overview of My Shopify Workflow Tools
- Shopify Liquid Cheat Sheet
Designing for Shopify
From a three-part series focusing on how to design home, product, and cart templates, to a free CSV file to get your demo store up and running, these articles focus on the design and UX of building Shopify Themes.
- Design Your Store Faster With Product CSVs and Images
- How to Take a Design from Concept to Production — Part 1: The Homepage
- How to Take a Design from Concept to Production — Part 2: Product Pages
- How to Take a Design from Concept to Production – Part 3: The Cart Page and Footer
Liquid template language
Liquid is the bridge between a store’s data and its theme templates. These articles and screencasts will cover the basics of how to use Liquid in Shopify Themes. If you are brand new to Liquid, start with the 30-minute screencast to familiarize yourself.
- An Overview of Liquid: Shopify's Templating Language (screencast)
- How to Use Liquid's "case/when" Control Tags in Shopify Themes
From in-depth looks at individual templates to discussions on how you can leverage the power of alternate template and layout files, these articles will help you take your theme building to the next level.
- The product.liquid template
- How to Use all_products in a Shopify Theme
- The Power of Alternate Layout Files in Shopify Theme Development
- How to Use Alternate Templates in Shopify Theme Development
Shopify Theme images
Images are the key to a great ecommerce experience. There are plenty of ways to customize images in Shopify — from clever use of variant images to Liquid filters, which allow you to crop and resize.
- The img_url Filter Just Got 10x Better
- Ways to Customize the img element in Shopify Themes
- How to Work With Images in Shopify
- How to Update a Theme to Use Variant Images
Leverage the power of the DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) principle in your themes by using snippets effectively — these articles will teach you how.
Link lists, menus, and navigation
There’s a lot more to menus than you might think. Learn how to extract maximum potential from the humble “link list”.
CSS in Shopify Themes
There are plenty of reasons to add useful CSS hooks to your templates. Learn how, and why, this can help you make your theme building more effective and powerful.
- How to Create a Sticky Add to Cart Button On Scroll
Learn how to make the most of Shopify’s metafields functionality and bulk editor feature.
- Using Metafields in Your Shopify Theme
- Adding Custom Fields to the Shopify Dashboard
- Secrets of the Shopify Bulk Editor
Thousands of apps and integrations are available in the Shopify App Store thanks to the powerful Shopify API. Here’s a primer to whet your appetite.
- Getting Started with the Shopify API
- How to Generate a Shopify API Token
- Why Learn to Build a Shopify App?
- Ruby Shopify Script Tutorial
- Shopify OAuth Flow for Dummies
- Securing Customer Pages with a Shopify App Proxy
- Building Shopify Apps with PHP
- Shopify API tutorials
A little can go a long way — especially when it comes to theme performance. Learn how Shopify Experts squeeze gains out of each and every theme they produce. Better performance = happy customers = happy merchants.
Using web fonts in Shopify Themes
Adding web fonts to a theme is a common request. The following article will teach you how to do just that.
As well as regularly published tutorials on the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog, we also recommend the following official Shopify Theme-related resources. The Liquid Cheat Sheet is worthy of a bookmark.
- Building Themes
- Customizing Themes
- Liquid Reference
- Developers — Getting Started with the Shopify API
- Shopify Tutorials — Web Design and Development Blog
- Liquid Cheat Sheet