We love seeing our fellow Canadian entrepreneurs thrive. That's why we're redoubling our efforts to equip retailers in Canada with the tools they need to get back on their feet and successfully run or reopen their stores with confidence.
Today we're thrilled to share that the Shopify Tap & Chip Card Reader is now available in Canada. Tap & Chip features contactless, or “tap” payments, for debit and credit cards, so you can offer customers safe and convenient ways to checkout in-store (or curbside).
Paired with the all-new Shopify POS, Canadian retailers can now create a truly omnichannel experience using one commerce platform. The future of retail may have arrived a little earlier than expected, but with our Tap & Chip Reader and rebuilt point-of-sale, you'll be ready to adapt. Canadian retailers can expect the following:
- Unified payments. With Shopify Payments, you can track how you’ll get paid and when you’ll get your money for sales made online and in-store. No set-up, monthly fees or hidden charges. Plus, with the all-new Shopify POS, you can unify your physical and online storefronts and gain at-a-glance insights about your business.
- Payment flexibility. Offer customers more options to pay by accepting contactless Interac Flash payments, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.
- Low rates. Pay just 10¢ per Interac transaction and as low as 2.4% on all credit card transactions with Shopify Payments.
- Mobile checkout. Package your iPhone X/Xs and wireless Tap & Chip Reader together with the Shopify Tap & Chip Case for mobile checkout experiences anywhere in store or curbside.
- Reliability. With the Shopify Retail Kit you can manage hardware connectivity, keep devices charged, and reduce clutter at checkout to keep devices ready and secure.
Unify your business across every sales channel
Relying on a single sales channel is a thing of the past. Modern retail requires an omnichannel approach, which means selling everywhere your customers are through a single platform that keeps your entire business in sync.
Connecting with our all-new Shopify POS, Canadian retailers can manage their omnichannel business and be adaptable for retail today, with features like curbside pick up and local delivery. In fact, Shopify’s Canadian retail merchants managed to replace 99%* of lost in-store sales with online sales over a six week period, highlighting the importance of connecting your business online and offline.
If you're a Canadian retailer, the release of the Shopify Tap & Chip Card Reader means you can upgrade your hardware and software all in one go and prepare for the retail rebound.
*Data from March 13, 2020 to April 24, 2020 compared with the six weeks prior.
Flexible and fully integrated payment options
Shopify’s Tap & Chip Card Reader is fully integrated with Shopify Payments, so retailers can easily track and manage their orders and payments in one place. Plus, Shopify customers get low rates without any additional setup costs or monthly fees.
Shopify Payments comes with your Shopify account—there's no lengthy third-party setup and you'll get paid in 2-3 business days. All you need to do is turn it on.
The Shopify Tap & Chip Card Reader lets you securely accept contactless Interac transactions up to $100, along with accelerated checkout options like Apple Pay and Google Pay. You can also accept contactless and chip & PIN payments with Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
Mobile checkout that moves with you
Say goodbye to being tethered to your countertop: The Tap & Chip Card Reader's sleek, lightweight design makes it small enough to fit comfortably in your pocket so you can accept payments on the move.
It also connects wirelessly to phones or tablets using the Shopify POS app, which allows customers to complete PIN entry on the screen of your iPad or iPhone, eliminating the need for a keypad on the reader. This means your staff can help shoppers from anywhere in your store. Attach the reader to your iPhone X/Xs with the Shopify Tap & Chip Case for a checkout in the palm of your hand.
If a tablet suits your store better, the Shopify Retail Stand lets you detach your iPad to make any spot a point of sale. Or, you can secure your iPad to the counter, where customers can easily flip the tablet to review their purchase, enter information, and complete checkout.
Durable hardware you can count on
Hardware reliability is just as essential as flexibility when it comes to capturing every sale. The Tap & Chip Card Reader integrates with Shopify’s Retail Kit—a fully-featured hardware collection to help you deliver an unmatched shopping experience. With the Shopify Retail Kit you can:
- Keep your devices charged and secure using the Dock for Tap & Chip
- Charge two devices via USB ports using the Retail Stand
- Check connection status at any time in the Connectivity area of your POS app
Winner of the coveted Red Dot Award for product design, Shopify’s Tap & Chip Reader also features a scratch-resistant and shatter-proof case, design details that ensure it can stand up to daily use around your store.
Get started with the all-new POS and integrated hardware
The all-new Shopify POS is available now, with Pro features for brick-and-mortar stores free until October 31, 2020. We couldn’t be more excited to release hardware in our home country and support thousands of Canadian businesses already using Shopify.
How to get started
If you’re new to Shopify, reach out to our team of dedicated Retail Experts to learn more.
If you’re a Canadian retailer already using Shopify POS, purchase your Tap & Chip Card Reader now.
For anything else, visit our website to learn more about the all-new Shopify POS.